Friday, July 17, 2009

♪Whoah-ohhhhhh Hakodate!♫

Today was the day of a big outdoor spectacle that told the history of Hakodate.  It was superduper cool! The pyrotechnics,  costumes, staging and lights were fantastic, and while I'm sure the dialogue was also wonderful I didn't understand most of it...
Walking in there was one of those put-your-head-though-the-slot-and-take-a-picture things, so of course I had to do it.  It made me become Hijikata Toshizo, the hero of Hakodate who was a complete badass during its history.
There were lots of really epic scenes, some happy and some sad. 
Here is depicted when Perry and the Americans first came to Japan! Woo America! At least for right then.  Later in the spectacle we dropped the atomic bomb on Japan.  But luckily no one tossed me out and I got to see the happy sing along ending involving chanting about Hakodate.

High: The amazing spectacle!
Low: not understanding nearly a single word of the play... but I got the meaning pretty well (I think) so I still had a blast.
Hero: Hijikata Toshizo, who is actually crazy badass and I really didn't know much about him before today.  He's the Davy Crocket of Japan.

4 comments:

  1. What a celebration! I'm glad you are getting to know so many different things about the Japanese. We're proud you are the one to help them understand Americans. Love, Grammy & Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the davy crocket of Japan sounds awesome! coolest. guy. ever. and yeah i bet it was weird seeing their depiction on like pearle harbor and those things like that (we haven't done much world war 2 yet in school) i lovre you so verry much! spot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are so much less blurry than mine (I went last weekend w/ my okaasan)!!! Can I steal them?

    I can send you the song too if you'd like, my okaasan bought me the CD >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. davy crocket had a racoon hat right? I think Hijikata shouldve had a squid hat! Maybe he did?

    Also, do you know the Davy Crocket song? Its so great....

    ReplyDelete