Friday, July 3, 2009

Video didn't kill me.

A lot has happened in the past two days, so I'll try not to forget anything.  All righty! So, yesterday I had an impossible quiz, the result of which I got back today.  Without going into painful details, let's just say it was the low of my days.  Eesh, harsh start.  But it gets more and more interesting, so bear with me!  After school, we had a tour of a Buddhist  temple which was really cool.  It was really shiny with lots of real gold plating, and was really cool.  I saw a cat!
Next, I took all of my Yale friends to go meet Mamasan at an art gallery where she had her (newly completed!) patchwork quilt that was going on display.  It took her 5 years to finish, and she's pulled a few all nighters recently.  Every stich was done by hand, it was really beautiful.  And all my friends loved mamasan!  And best of all, mamasan and all the other quilters were so excited to entertain a large group of people who had such interest in there work.

The reason I had so many Yalies with me, is because Stever-sensei had just arrived in Hakodate from Yale, complete with Yale money to buy us dinner.  Awesome! It was a blast, and the main purpose was to make sure that we were having fun at HIF.  They let us order whatever we want, and no one went thirsty. Delicious food!  Rode the bus back with Koh, got home at like 10, did some hw and then CRASHED!

I woke up the next morning to this sight:

Isn't that wonderful! In Japanese, in ketchup, that's my name written! クリス!It was an incredibly sweet gesture, and the rice ketchup omlette tasted great!

School Time! Today was my turn for show and tell! I talked all about my backpack that I've had since 4th grade, and although I was nervous, I got my point across.  Today was also parents come to school day- Mamasan came to class, and we learned japanese tongue twisters! So fun! Afterwards there were brief parent-teacher conferences where she learned that I'm working hard.  It's basically like I'm in kindergarten.

Next I had a great lunch with mamasan and one of her friends.  Mamasan told her friend that I have a life thats full of light, which I figured out is a way to say someone is very happy and optimistic all the time.  ain't she sweet!  Lunch was a great time to calm my nerves though for what was to coming up next.
Last week they were asking who wants to sign up to go on a Japanese radio show and talk.  I had decided a while ago that I was going to do everything, and my friend Nao was also wanting to do it, so I signed up. Ahhhh! What was I thinking! All day long today I was sorta nervous- Although justifiably so, considering I was about to go on public radio and speak a language that I am trying to learn.

Next thing I know, we're in the studio.  We talk briefly with the lady who is going to interview us (who was terribly nice!) and then the guy in the sound proof room waved his hand,  we were a go.
It was the longest ten minutes ever! But I think I did great! Or at least much better than I expected from myself.  They're going to give us a CD copy of the recording, and I'll post it as soon as I get it.  Crazy though!!! I was a Radio star in a foreign country! and although the lady spoke really fast, I understood  enough to at least say something, even if it was just a short 
"Is that so, it's really fun!"
After the radio show, mamasan drove us to the top of Hakodate Yama!  Today was clear, and wow the view is amazing! This is what I could have seen earlier!! I like Hakodate.

Final things that happened: went and ate soba with shinon and mamasan, laughed a lot when they talked about goourudenn riituriibaas.  I had no idea what it was for like five minutes till it clicked.  Oh! Golden retrievers!

High: the feeling right when the ten minute (felt like 6 hours!)  radio interview was over.
Low: That quiz.  Don't wanna talk about it.
Hero: Mamasan!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting time! Don't worry about the test...you will do great!!! And a real cat in Japan--who'd a thunk it? Now a radio star! Congratulations. We love you. Grammy and Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. 心配しないで下さい! That's pretty much how I am after EVERY quiz/test we have, trust me. You're still とても上手 in my book =).

    HAKODATE YAMA TODAY, YAY! See you at 5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High: Reading your blogs
    Low: Missing you being with us this summer
    Hero: Your family, epecially Mamasan for taking such great care of you and making you feel so welcomed.

    Love you tons,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude, i've had my backpack since 4th grade too!

    ReplyDelete