Monday, July 20, 2009

Love Parade and Flower Fire

Yesterday:
First off, the Love Parade! It was Shinon's high school festival, so mamasan and I went and met Shinon there.  The school is an all girls school and it was packed with highscool girls and some boys who were visiting the school. 
 It was madness! I went to a fashion show and a band concert, and afterwards ate a green tea waffle and got all kinds of little candies and stuff.  The highlight of the trip was the Fashion show though.  So much screaming! The girls in each class made a dress, and anytime their class or one of their friends was on stage they would chant or yell "Cuuute!"
After the festivities, it was time for me to study, after all I had a test! But I found another distraction, because later when papasan wanted to go to the hardware store I tagged along.  And wow I'm glad I did! the store was huge, and randomly also included a petstore.  Dogs and cats are much more expensive than in the US, with  even cheap dogs going for a bit over $500.  While I was looking at the dogs, I see an employee with his hands in a cage.  I go to inspect and it seemed like he was trying to catch a brown blur.  When it finally slowed down enough, I recognized it as a ground squirrell.  As a pet! it blew my mind.  But this thing was absolutely fast as all get-out, and I could already tell what was going to happen. Yep! There it goes, it escaped!
Next thing I know, there is a chipmunk loose in the store, tailed by several employees.  It got inside a rack of stuff, and to get it out they needed 4 people (myself included, I volunteered quickly to help with this strange occurance). Super fun.  Only in Japan.

Today: Test went fine, it was definitely hard but I think it was alright.  After class we had a special required lecture on Japanese linguistics- it was pretty interesting and I definitely learned things, but it could have been a tad shorter.
K time for interesting stuff! After school, I went to a Mikia's house for a birthday BBQ! Since I'm the only one who lives close enough, I was the only HIF kid to go, but it was sooo fun!  Mikia has three little host sisters that quickly fell in love with me, and we played games and ran around and had fun.  Immidiately after returning home I donned a Kimono, because it was time for fireworks!!
Traditionally Japanese people wear kimonos to all festivals, but now its split about 60-4o against probably.    I felt super Japanese, and since you only wear boxers underneath it was very nice and breathable.
I got an awesome picture of mamasan.  Anyway though- after watching HUUUGE fireworks, eating a shaved ice, and buying some pokemon cotton candy (of course), I went home and started homework.  And now its bed time.  It was a marvelous day!

High: Finding out what Ratatouille is called in Japanese.  Take a wild guess, and I'll post the answer next post!

Low:staying up mad late yesterday

Hero: Mikia's little siblings! So cute!

3 comments:

  1. That picture of you and the host sisters is wicked cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what you need--more sisters to climb all over you! It was quite a chipmunk race too!
    I love reading your comments and pictures.
    Love, Grammy and Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to chase a squirrel in a store. It's like my freshmen year living in the basement of Farnam, except in a pet store in Japan! Best story ever.

    Also, I know the movie! (I'll post just in katakana so as not to spoil it for readers at home) レーニのおいしいレストラン。Which just makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete