Thursday, July 30, 2009

Call Me Ismail.

For Today I dined on whale.  It was like a very fishy chicken, and most interesting was the odor and color of the meat- its a very dark meat, darker than any other meat I have eaten.  The taste was bearable, but I definitely wouldn't order the whale burger again.
Yesterday I went to a Shodou, which is basically writing calligraphy with a big brush. It was crazy fun: I really want to do it more! 
We did one big sheet of paper, and I decided to write fire.  I think it turned out pretty decent, but wow it takes skill to do the big one well!  Skills which I do not yet have.
Speaking of skills, here is the other kanji I drew.  These are on smaller pieces of paper but I liked the way they turned out better.  Going from the top clockwise, its Power, Courage, and Wisdom.  I think courage turned out the best!
I stayed up terribly late yesterday and  plan on remedying that tonight, but the last thing worth mentioning is going to a Japanese music concert! We watched a bunch of Japanese banjos and flutes, and then learned to sing an incredibly hard song, pictured above!

High:Painting yesterday!
Low: Yesterday staying up late...
Hero:Today at the concert we also learned an awesome dance that involves some intricate hand flourishes, and afterwards an old Japanese woman who smiled at me earlier said that I did very well.  Made my day, she was very sweet!  I will definitely bust out this dance at Yale sometime for some laughs.

2 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to see our names in Japanese, now that you are an expert!
    Love, Grammy and Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, still following your blog. One of the best ever put out there by a Light Fellow. =)

    ReplyDelete