Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thor, God of Thunder and Mochi

Too tired to function yesterday, so I forgot to write.  Yesterday I went to a free class that was offered on how to make Mochi and Soba- it is so cool! But of course I epically forgot my camera, so the picture above was taken with a friend's camera.  Mochi is rice that has been smashed to holy bajeezus and then coated with different toppings, like red bean paste.  IT is crazy delicious, and I even got to take a turn as one of those badass mochi beaters.  Next we made Soba-  also crazy delicious.  The process of making it was crazy- it starts out as powder, then becomes dough, then looks like a pizza crust, but they keep stretching it till it looks like a huge piece of fabric.  Next, they fold it up, slice into thin slices, and voila, Soba noodles!

The best part of yesterday was bonding with mamasan.  I found out that just like my real American mom, mamsan every year volunteers but every year says she won't do it again.  I also found out that she absolutely despises one of the other volunteers (coincidentally the president), to the point where it makes her very upset.  If only mamasan spoke english or Mom spoke Japanese, there would be some serious bonding.   I found out today that this host family's past kids haven't been very talkative, so I'm really excited to be the one to remedy that!
Today was the IS project- I'm done! It went alright- I got really nervous to the point my hands visibly shook, but overall it was really funny and lighthearted.  We even id the ika dance, so how bad could it have been?

Tonight since I didn't have an inordinate amount of homework, mamasan and I went to go look at the night view of Hakodate from Mt. Hakodate- supposedly the prettiest night view in Japan, the 3rd prettiest in the world.  It was spectacular.  It was slightly cloudy at first, but it just built up the excitement as the clouds lifted away and unveiled more city lights.  After the famous night view, mamasan showed me another spot that also has a nice view, but isn't a very nice place because its the famous smooching look at point.  We looked at the view quickly and returned home.  

High:Finishing my IS project for good!
Low: I messed up a bit today, but I think it'll be fine tomorrow!
Hero:Mamasan!  Because when she came to class everyone knew her (even though most people hadn't met her). She thought it was very funny how popular/famous she was.

2 comments:

  1. You? Talkative? I would never have guessed!
    Love, Grammy and Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't look at all nervous! Seriously, yours and Hwee's were definitely my favorite presentations. Mine was kind of an epic fail of "Umming" a lot---not even ano or eto's. FAAAIL.

    ReplyDelete