Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happi Baasudee Shinon!


Today was Shinon's birthday! All day long I studied, because this week is the last week of the semester, and so we have lots of exams and work to do.  I also made my reservations today for the break- I'm going to Sapporo!

Anyway, I stayed in the house all day until night, when my host family and I all loaded up into Shinon's boyfriend's car to go get sushi!  The car ride was funny and I still don't understand it-  all the seats in his car were fitted with huge comfy leather bed like things.  and the back seat chair was basically in the full reclined position, and due to the leather thing on it we couldn't really sit up straight and instead drove basically lying down in the back.  I think it was MAD sketchy to turn your backseat into basically a bed, but Shinon's parents weren't really phased (hence my confusion).  Apparently lots of young people do this because its cool.  I tried secretly asking mamasan if this was sketchy and involved "bad things" but she just said something about being quiet.  Whatevs!

Sushi time! I love conveyor belt sushi, and I really thing Tenpura shrimp sushi might be my current favorite food.  In the above picture, there is both the tenpura shrimp and another amazing dish- steamed egg soup.  It makes the egg into a jello, and it was super tasty.
We ate a TON! But now it was time to go home and eat cake...  Time for a quick Japanese learning break!  The Japanese word "Betsubara" is a word I learned today, and its really cool! It doesn't have a translation in english!  The meaning is roughly your separate stomach for different foods- aka I have a dessert stomach so there's always more room for cake.  Cool huh!? 

The cake was delicious! As we were lighting the candles I panically asked how to sing happy birthday in Japanese, but they told me that they don't have a song- you just sing the American happy birthday song while clapping.  Easy enough!

High: when mamasan found out that the restaurant was out of soup and made a really sad face. This incited papasan to say "Ohmygod and Jesuschrist!"  to translate her frustration in english for me.  since people say it in english movies all the time, this is how he believed I would understand best.  Hilarious! 
Low: It's right now 3:50 in the morning and I just  barely finished my hw.
Hero: Shinon! Happy Birthday Shinon!

Today's Food Guessing Question:  What is the below sushi???? Guesses?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fried squid sticks to me!
    Good luck. Love, Grammy and Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This incited papasan to say "Ohmygod and Jesuschrist!" to translate her frustration in english for me."

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete