Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Samurai Training, Part I

Today started as a normal day, with breakfast, class, and lunch. Immediately after school, things were also quite normal-  I watched another Japanese movie, although this one was nowhere near as good/funny as "Magic Hour," the movie I watched earlier in the week (which I highly suggest if you're looking for a good foreign comedy movie).

The second half of my day was when things got interesting/amazing.  I took a tram to the near-by all girls middle school, where I was to learn about the art of KyudoJapanese Archery.  I didn't fully know what to expect going into it, but daaanng.  Those girls were amazing.

When we arrived at the school, there was a small group of girls who asked us in Japanese if we were the foreigners who wanted to learn Kyudo.  After an affirmative "Hai!", they led us onwards to the fields.
Although the girls were all really short, they all used huge bows.  They gave us a quick demonstration.  The demonstration was completely silent, and was very zen and serene.  The movements that are taken are very slow, and there are no unnecessary movements.  Their aim is amazing.  When someone hits the target, everyone yells "Yooosh!"

After that their sensei gave a demonstration.  It took several minutes for the whole process of firing the arrow, including bowing and slowly pulling the string back. Watching their sensei was like watching art.
Now it was my turn.  They give me a glove for my right hand, the thumb of which is solid to protect it from the bow string.  After practicing without the arrow, and beng instructed in complicated Japanese words that I didn't understand...
It was time for the real deal.  Bow, step forward, wide stance, lift the bow high...pull half-way, pull all the way...and...

Fire! Bullseye!! Actually not at all--- it flew to the right and barely made it to the targets.  But in my mind it hit the bullseye. It's probably because I wasn't focused enough.

High: Watching the sensei shoot an arrow was really cool, and made archery into an art/meditation form.
Low: I had a random hour long headache in class today, but luckily it went away quick!
Hero: Those little amazon girls who taught me to shoot an arrow, who were astoundingly good.

Thus today was part one of samurai training...but brace yourself because there's more to come!

7 comments:

  1. Thats totally a "Im about to laugh face." Maybe a pre-wheeze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. I'm so glad that you are getting to experience so many things. How many times do they miss and hit the wall that is right in front of them, that is where my arrow would end up. Love you tons!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christo...Wow! That must take a lot of practice! But even to hit anywhere was a major accomplishment. We are anxious to hear of your next adventure.
    Love you lots...Grammy & Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  4. they were SO adorable! like i loved the outfits! you should ask for like the guy version!i bet that would be pretty cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESHHHH BULLSEYE!

    xo MARCIE BAKER :)

    ReplyDelete