Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Remember the extravagant dinners of days past?

...here's what they look like now.  Study dinner on the go, complete with fried squid (which is flying up the ranks of my favorite foods), Strawberry milk (todays vending machine concoction), banana pocky, assorted sushi (all that sushi for less than $4!), and butter chips made with Hokkaido butter (delicious!).
Since I was the Teachers assistant today, I got to read off the announcements and write stuff on the blackboard.  It was fun! Time is actually moving pretty fast in class, because it definitely doesn't feel like 3 hours of class time. On the other hand the 5 hours of homework still feels like...5 hours of homework.

Tonight is the last night in the hotel, because tomorrow we meet the host families.  Ahhhh!!! I'm getting pretty nervous but I know they'll be wonderful.  Tomorrow I'm going to really study the gift giving unit, because gift giving is very important in Japan.  For example, one crazy thing you would never see in the states:
$30 melon.  right next to the $5/$6 melons.  These melons are grown specifically to give as gifts.  Yet another part of Japanese culture I don't yet understand.  we'll see how I do tomorrow!!


High: Getting a "yoku dekimashita!" stamp (well done!) on my homework.  woooo!

Low: The quiz I took today totally exploded.  Remember the Kanji quiz I studied for yesterday? Well I did have a quiz, but it wasn't over Kanji. Oops.  

Hero:My friends and family (aka you guys!) who make me feel strong enough to be in a foreign country and never feel alone. Thanks for being there for me! <3

6 comments:

  1. BANANA Pocky? What is this land? What other fun types of Pocky do they have? Try them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CDB,
    The Banana Pocky sounds delicious.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. ASHYKINZ, ME TOO! okay well, i was anonymous on the last post(i originally wasn't going to tell u and was going to let u sweat it out but decided to be nice). Btw can you check e-mail? Because i sent a rather nifty one to you. I hope you purchase a nice expensive cantaloupe and then eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad is probably jealous of your lunch. He would love it! $30 melons. That reminds me of the $40 "Bling" water at rice epicurean. So the only difference between the 2 melons is the price? How would anyone know? Maybe you leave the price tags on them? OR switch the tags! Have a great day at school, we are loving the blogs and the pictures. I Love you.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY glad that you like squid. you should try コロッケ and トンカツ for your おかず!

    banana pocky...never seen it before. sounds delicious tho

    ReplyDelete