Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pottery, Baths, and Beyond

Last night I took my first Japanese bath! I liked it enough that I took another one tonight. To recap what it entails, basically you first completely shower and wash yourself, then get into the hot bath that is already filled, and just relax.  Although my bath wasn't more than 20 minutes, it felt like hours.  Its was great time to just have time to think, a luxury that I really enjoy.

Today after school was part two of the pottery class.  This time I found the house without getting lost!  I got out my pot from last week which had dried a bit, and put it back onto the wheel.  This week, we shaved it smooth and made the bottom rim on which the bowl will stand.

"On which the bowl will stand"?? Sorry if my grammar is getting awkward and choppy, but on the plus side I think its a trade-off for my Japanese grammar getting better.  Right next to the house there is a look out on the ocean, and the lighting was really cool.  The city was lit up even though the sky was dark.  I like Hakodate a lot.
After dinner, yet another funny conversation ensued, this one between mamasan and papasan.  Papasan noticed their clock was broken, and jokingly asked me why mamasan broke the clock.  He then said in english "She is a Crusher! She breaks...Everything!"  Mamasan protested, "No! No!"  His rebuttle was "Her middle name...is Godzilla!" It was a really funny exchange and I felt really lucky to be put in a host family with such good-hearted people.

High: Looking out at the ocean and realizing how much I like Hakodate
Low: Putting off homework...
Hero: My host parents, for being such great people.

4 comments:

  1. Do you paint the bowl also? Did you go somewhere for the bath? Or take it at their house? Are there others in the tub? Yikes. I forget that you are surrounded by Ocean. I love that picture. Take pictures of your neighborhood.
    Love you,
    mom
    ps
    like the play off of "Bed, Bath and Beyond" :-) you're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG mom i just got that with the title!! its cleaverrrr! like GODZILLA; theres a kid at weather camop who is like obsessed with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of Hakodate is awesome! definitely post more.

    And your titles never cease to amaze me.

    viKINGS? Probably half the reason you chose kingly interactions over mead. ha!

    I forget the bioluminescence one, but i remember that it was really clever. You are wicked clever.

    PS. SPOT I HOPE WEATHER CAMP IS TOTALLY AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YO CHRIS! That's probaly (ughh i jus t have no clue how to spell that word) the best exchange of words ever.... Next time you break out a "oh yeah well you're orange juice" i know that my response will be "well you're middle name is GODZILLA" :)

    xo MARCIE BAKER

    ReplyDelete